In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I am sharing one of my family's current favorite lunch items. It is a healthy way to still eat the foods you love: Chicken taco pizza on a whole wheat pita!
I used to hear the term "whole wheat" and be completely freaked out. It sounded too healthy to taste good. The truth is, whole wheat options are REALLY tasty! I have really enjoyed making pizzas with whole wheat pitas. You can also use whole wheat tortilla shells, if you prefer a more traditional taco feel.
You may not think that salsa would make a good pizza sauce; however, when you are going for a taco pizza, it is perfect! It is low in caloric density and gives just enough tomato taste to satisfy that need for sauce.
I am typically a plain cheese pizza fan. However, for this taco pizza, I like to use shredded boneless, skinless chicken breast. If you're cooking for one, or having a small lunch with family, then the individually packaged chicken breasts from Schwan are perfect! Just bake them in the oven according to the packaging, shred, and add them to your pizza. If you are not a fan of chicken but want to stick with a healthy option, try 96% lean ground beef.
What is pizza without the cheese? In order to keep things healthy, I stick with a low fat, low moisture mozzarella cheese. Just a handful of it sprinkled on your pizza will add all the cheesy goodness you need. If you prefer a more traditional taco taste, try grabbing a Mexican blend of cheeses.
The Optional Toppings
Pizzas are basically blank canvases for adding any toppings you want. Do you like tomatoes? Chop some up and add them to the pizza. Are you a fan of fat free re-fried beans? Add of it beneath your salsa for a more traditional taco flavor. Other options to consider include lettuce, fat free sour cream, ranch dressing, taco seasoning, or BBQ sauce.
I would love to hear what you put on your pizza! Comment below and don't forget to subscribe so that you don't miss out on any of my upcoming ideas!
Chicken Taco Pizza
Fast, healthy lunch option
- Baking Sheet
- 1 pkg chicken breast Schwann's individual
- 1 whole wheat pita or tortilla
- 1 spoonful salsa preferred Pace, mild
- 1 handful mozzarella shredded, low fat
- 1 tomato chopped, optional
- 1 tbsp refried beans fat free, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake chicken breast according to instructions on package, approximately 15-18 minutes.
- Once removed from oven, shred chicken.
- Heat up pita in oven until warm.
- Top pita with salsa, tomato (if desired), chicken, and mozzarella.
- Place prepared pita in oven just long enough to melt cheese.
- Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy!